It all began in October 2019 after a 39 year old
cyclist was tragically killed in a hit-and-run crash in Brandywine, Maryland. While it’s always
disheartening to hear of cyclist fatalities, this particular cyclist's death was a significant
emotional event that I could not seem to shake. I did not know John, but a myriad of thoughts
ran through my mind as I empathized with this cyclist and his family members. What were his
last sights and sounds? Hearing is widely thought to be the last sense to go in the dying process…
What went through his mind as he lay there dying alone? Then I thought, why isn’t there a mobile
application with an SOS or panic button designed for solo or group rides for cyclists who are in
trouble on the road? These painful thoughts made me realize that I had to do something. I connected
with others, Team ZOAROO, who shared the same vision of creating a solution that every bike club
experiences, but no one until now, had systematized a process to connect cyclists to mobile bike
mechanics. ZOAROO centralizes Support and Gear (SAG) for group rides.
Finally, cycling group rides can be actualized, and each cyclist can ride to their capacity getting stronger and faster. No more sweeping…no drop rides… and no rider left behind with ZOAROO to the rescue.
ZOAROO to the rescue!
3 Reasons you should Try ZOAROO!
- Value. We have a system set up to meet cyclists’ needs, lifestyle, and budget.
- Support on the Go for you and your bike.
You call, we respond. ZOAROO not only repairs your bike, but we are committed to
taking care of you, the cyclist, because sooner or later, you may experience obstacles on
your ride which may include:
- Mechanical issues (flat tire, First Aid, chain repair etc.).
- SOS emergencies or life threatening environment; involved in an accident.
- Inclement weather (heavy winds and rain)
- Biking off more than you can do.
- Convenient Service. Our Command Centers are staffed by trained agents who are professional responders, standing by when you need a ride. There is no need to break down your bike.
What do you get with ZOAROO ?
- Peace of Mind knowing that there’s a first responder for cyclists.
- Skilled Bike mechanics who have undergone background checks.
- An easily accessible mobile app. and a comfortable van that provides convenient rideshare services tailored for cyclists and their bikes.
- Support & Gear during and after group rides. You can also get service during solo rides.
- A secure bike stow inside the ZOAROO van, which protects bikes from harsh weather.
- Quality service at affordable prices.
What’s in a name? Zoaroo’s root name, Zoar, is a place of refuge; sanctuary; haven; safe place.
Etymology: From Zoar, one of five ancient cities in the Jordan valley?
Things happen when you are riding. Sometimes it’s not so easy to get help when you are down:
- Fatigued and dropped by the group
- Mechanical failure
- If you crash and need assistance; First Aid; life threatening emergencies
- Biked off more than you can do
3 Reasons you should try ZOAROO:
- Speed of service. Zoaroo bike mechanics come along local group rides to support cyclists by delivering new equipment and quick repairs when their bicycles are rendered immobile.
- Safety and support for all demographics. Zoaroo improves the safety of all cyclists and encourage newcomers—attracting a diverse audience of non-cyclists into the cycling space.
- Gives back to the local community. Zoaroo hires local skilled mechanics and creates jobs for youths by partnering with non-profit youth programs, such as Baltimore Youth Kinetic Energy Collective (BYKE). Zoaroo creates a safe space for training young people who have an interest in repairing bikes.
SOS Calls Served
Ride Share Drivers